HomeAccommodationAttractionsFoodConferences & WeddingsEvents CalendarIndustryBlogContact
Arts, Culture & Heritage
Water Activities
Parks & Wildlife
Leisure & Sport
Wineries
Tours & Itineraries
Surrounding Area
Bakeries
Cafes
Clubs
Hotels
Restaurants
Bed and Breakfast
Caravan Parks
Motels
Pubs and Clubs
Farm Stays
House Boats
River Front Holiday Houses
Business and Industry
In the News
Stay Connected

Lawson Syphon  

Go Back
Download a poster of the Syphon...
http://www.irrigationhistory.net.au/assets/pdf/Exhibition-08.pdf

Situated 7 km from Deniliquin, Lawson Syphons is the engineering work of diverting the water from the Mulwala Canal, under the Edward River. Construction work commenced in 1939 but due to World war 2, was not completed & opened until 16 years later in April 1955. With the capacity of 22,000 cubic yards, at the time of completion Lawson Syphons was considered the largest work of its type in the Southern Hemisphere.
The syphons are named after Joe Lawson, who was the local Member for Murray at the time. Several of Mr. Lawson’s family members are expected to return to Deniliquin for the event. There has also been interest from former workers throughout NSW and Victoria, as well as those still in the district.
The syphons were built between 1939 and 1955, linking the eastern and western parts of Australia’s largest irrigation channel, the Mulwala Canal. Twin concrete barrels, 3.6 metres in diameter, carry water beneath the Edward River, 5km east of Deniliquin.
Up to 300 workers were engaged in the construction project at its peak, many of them newly arrived immigrants.
Address:
Your Hosts:
Phone:
Email:
Website: http://www.irrigationhistory.net.au/gallery/stevens-weir.asp